Friday, October 19, 2007

Exotic Perfume by Charles Baudelaire

When, on an autumn evening, with closed eyes,
I breathe the warm dark fragrance of your breast,
Before me blissful shores unfold, caressed
By dazzling fires from blue Unchanging skies.

And there, upon the calm and drowsing isle,
Grow luscious fruits amid fantastic trees :
There, men are light : the women of those seas
Amaze one with their gaze that knows no guile.

Your perfume wafts me thither like a wind :
I see a harbour thronged with masts and sails
Soil weary from the tumult of the gales;

And with the sailors' song that drifts to me
Are mingled odours of the tamarind,
--And all my soul is scent and melody.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Hello, do you know translator of the version? Just curious. Norman Shapiro's version is only other one I've read. Thanks. Tom McGohey